Search This Blog

Friday, April 17, 2020

My Quarantine ( and its rays of sunlight )


In this time of turmoil, when tensions are high and the world has to stay away from itself, not many things are easy or pretty. However, that doesn't mean that beauty has left our world. This is my perspective from quarantine, showing what I'm seeing the world do. 

Just like everyone else, I am staying inside, reading, doing school work, and longing to see my friends again. I live at home with my family, which is extremely nice, as it gives me a small patch of people to communicate with
( especially when the paranoia creeps in ). 

My animals are around me, acting as a comfortable buffer to the news terribly displayed on our kitchen’s Alexa device. I'm very fortunate and I cannot imagine what some of the true isolation might be like for others. I have a friend who has scarcely looked out his only window for over two weeks.

My mother has been extremely caring, and as I was in the planning stages of moving into my own place before the quarantine began, she has said on a few occasions (either verbally, through glances or with tight squeezing hugs ) how she's glad that we’re all together for this pandemic. 

My immediate family consists of my mother, father, younger brother, smooth collie dog, and two very fluffy cats. We get along awesomely normally and even though together we have been pressed thin attempting to keep each other sane, somehow we’re getting through it.

I have been actively doing everything in my power to bring as much joy into the lives of those around me as I possibly can. Completing every task I can muster to shield them from the wave of frenzied paranoia that could overtake even the strongest of minds. Producing as much positivity as possible.

Recently I completed a large chromatic portrait drawn in colored pencil for a friend. The portrait is of a black cat named Gary that roams their neighborhood and our friend group loves quite a bit. I made this because I wanted to give my friend something to look forward to when we can return to our world. 

While I have been doing everything I can in this period of isolation to bring joy to the hearts of those I care for, I seem to have forgotten the outside world a little bit. I have only ventured out into the world a few smatterings of times throughout this event (only to go to the grocery store or on an isolated hike ) and I am continually amazed at how the world is continuing. 

I know that my community here in Corvallis, Oregon is far from the center of the epidemic, but in my mind I was viewing the outer world as a solitude-filled wasteland. Sure there are much fewer people in the streets and the buildings have regulated amounts of people in them, but the world is continuing.

This shows me the resiliency of the human race. How we understand that the world is aflame with no one to blame, yet we continue. We find comfort where we can and with our bootstraps tied high we march forward. Hoping beyond hope that there's a new light awaiting not too far away. 

( p.s. I bet there is )

No comments:

Post a Comment